Today’s men take pride in how they look. They want to portray their unique identity through their appearance, and because of that men’s grooming has become a staple in fashion. Answering the call of barbershop owners, Dayton Barber College has a program that will launch you into this exciting field.
The Barber/Stylist Program is ideal for students with no prior barbering experience or training who are seeking a career as a licensed barber/stylist, barbershop owner or manager in the state of Ohio. We combine classroom theory, scientific barbering practice, and hands-on shop training to help prepare you for licensure.
Theoretical study (100 clock hours minimum) provides students with comprehensive instruction on the scientific fundamentals of barbering to help them develop an understanding of industry standards and practices. Topics covered include:
- Men’s shaving
- Chemistry of hair relaxing, coloring and permanent waving
- Use and care of barber implements/tools
- Hygiene, sanitation and sterilization
- Bacteriology and diseases of the skin, scalp and glands
The course is rounded out by the study of barbering history, law, state rules and regulations as well as basic business principles of salesmanship, advertising/marketing, ethics and public relations. The course is the foundation for a quality barbering education and students enjoy the experience of being immersed in the barbering atmosphere with like-minded peers.
Scientific Barbering Practices
This course (200 clock hours minimum) expands on the scientific elements of barber training and includes instruction on the various techniques for:
- Hair cutting and coloring
- Hair relaxing and straightening
- Permanent waving
- Various types of facials, shaving, and hairpieces
Students build upon the training received during theoretical study and continue to develop their base of barbering knowledge.
General Barber Practice
During the general barber practice course (1200 clock hours minimum), students receive valuable hands-on instruction in:
- Regular men’s haircutting
- Razor cutting
- Styling and coloring
- Hot oil shampoo and shampoo tonic
- Scalp treatments
- Various types of facials and facial shaving
- Barbershop duties and management essentials
Ready to do this? Contact us to schedule a campus tour!